Journey To The Center of The House

  • 1
No, no, this is not a new title from the original creator of Journey to the Center of The Earth. This is Microsoft beta-project as part of plan to satisfy their craving for total world domination. Maybe I'm just exaggerating while using Word 2007 running on WindowsXP. But here is some snippet on what they had to say about the new release, Photosynth.

"Imagine being able to share the places and things you love using the cinematic quality of a movie, the control of a video game, and the mind-blowing detail of the real world..."


It’s like having the opportunity to eat McDonald's Quarter Pounder with KFC's Cheesy Wedges in Pizza Hut's restaurant. Hey, don't look at me, Microsoft start it first. Photosynth is trying to demonstrate that constructing your room virtually and letting people to explore it as if they are playing game, is easy.

The real reason why I was excited about this is because it does sounds like Sci-Fi kind of thing. I can see this to be a step forward to affordable Virtual Reality experience, even if it is only a half-baked experience. This could be the cost-saver for property developer and income-cutter for 3D artist. But the question rouse, did it really is what it is claimed to be?

Well, as it was free, I decided to give it a try. Downloading was a breeze as it was only an 8MB+ file and the installation process couldn't be easier. I restart my Firefox (note that I was using Portable Firefox 3) and head myself to Photosynth site.

I tried pcat's House Backyard and cdaworld's ARCH II briefly. While I was testing them out, disappointment started building up in me. I decided to give one last try with Rodrigosb's Apartment and to my relief, it does looks well. I have a quick tour in the apartment before I closed the windows as it was too resource hogging for me to continue.

Ah, just like visiting an old friend's house - Copyright of its respective owner

It is obvious that the succession of this release solely depends on the user's side, photographically wise. My last say, Photosynth is going to become a useful tool. But it will only be that after it has been fine-tuned and polished by the developer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey cracksys, Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier.
Let me say you have a well deigned blog. Looks cool. And yeah, Microsoft is trying to hit something big with Photosynth. Just wish they do keep there servers up and capacity upgrade plans ready :)